Tuesday, April 24, 2012

mushroom-less walk about

Went down to the woods today to look for the elusive morel mushroom. I didn't find any, but I did get to pay a visit to my tree and I snapped a few pictures along the way. 


I walked up to the higher ground with intent to come down the slope to look for the mushrooms. I came down through the undergrowth, but didn't find what I hoped to! 


Cockleburrs! I know they are horrible in your hair. But I think they are so amazing in texture and tenacity!


The mighty tree fell, leaving behind the broken stump. But next to it, sprouting maples. Including a rather mutant looking two-toned leaf!




And there he is, my tree.


The view back through the woods as you look between the trunks.


I am a little concerned as he isn't really budding yet. He doesn't seem as healthy to me as he has in past years. I spent a little time with him, listening very carefully, and even set my ear against bark, but there was silence. Perhaps he is still sleeping. It has been an odd spring. Maybe he's the only tree in the forest with the sense to know that it's not quite time yet to go green.  :)


I will post again soon with more pictures, hopefully my friend will have a full crown of green next time.

For now, off to bed. It's been a long day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!