Tuesday, March 20, 2012

grandma

One of my favorite photographs that I have is the picture of my Grandma Lorraine at her graduation. 


I have wanted to attempt some type of cross stitch version of this for some time, and I started playing around with it a little more tonight.  First I played with the sepia version, but was not happy with the variation and range of tones. So, I took it into Photoshop and worked with some colorization...


And then I charted...


I wanted to try and capture a "paint by number" feel, as Grandma use to do them when I was young.  

She also  braided these *huge* floor rugs out of old wool coats and clothing that were cut into strips. These things were gigantic, big enough to cover the floor of a formal dining room. I have one smaller rug that was hers.  What strength they must have taken  to braid. She also taught me how to crochet. I still remember my first lesson some 40 years ago...I chained and chained, until I had this never ending pile.  She crocheted so tightly,  me, I have always been loose! :D  

Now back to work on Tweet  for awhile before bed!


3 comments:

  1. That is going to be SO beautiful! Great story, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a treasure!!!
    I love old family photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a charming post....must do one on my Mum at one point, she was quite glamorous.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!