Thursday, December 22, 2011

thread painting

Happy Winter Solstice!

As I worked my way through my first pot of coffee this morning, I was running through Etsy looking at pretties and drooling over so many things that I wished I could experience with all of my senses instead of just my eyes. I was seeking some inspiration,  a nudge of sorts, a lightbulb moment.

 With the new year just around the corner, I am still finding a blurred creative direction, although I have narrowed it down to a needlework focus.  I have always been in awe of textile artists that dye and use their own fabrics and fibers, and it came to me. There it was. Really sort of obvious, when you think about it...



So I have allll of these Jaquard textile paints.  I have more white cotton 6-strand floss then I know what to do with. It may be string, but it is still cotton and could be treated the same way as a hunk of muslin that I had loved painting on before. 

So I played, and here are the results!

Once dry, I will heat set them just as I would fabric, and then see how they stitch up.  I had played around with Easter egg dyeing tablets before to color floss, but the colors were too pastel-y for me, and the colors did not set very well.  Maybe I will include a skein of this in future designs, or maybe I will just use it in the finished pieces that I plan on working through in upcoming months. Whatever I decide to do, I am just kind of tickled that I've found a way to stretch and explore while still holding closer to my creative direction.

Now off to wrap the rest of the presents and make another pot of coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!