Sunday, February 10, 2013

sunday discovery: purple carrots





"Carrots used to be purple before the 17th century, almost all carrots cultivated were purple. The modern day orange carrot wasn’t cultivated until Dutch growers in the late 16th century took mutant strains of the purple carrot, including yellow and white carrots and gradually developed them into the sweet, plump, orange variety we have today. "  (From Today I Found Out )


******

Last corner of Kaleidoscope left to stitch. Ran out of DMC 3052 and with the ice out there today, I'm not venturing out to pick up one color as much as I really, really want to! So I'll get as far as I can, set it aside and get started on the next Whiskerkins, or maybe I'll design today. A whole lotta new things running around in my head. Need to get them down to free up some space!


4 comments:

  1. hmm.. no wonder the Dutch are so into 'orange'... Anyhoo, an interesting tidbit! I wouldn't mind trying the purple kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I wonder if you can get seeds...hmmm...

      Delete
  2. You can totally get seeds for these...my parents grew some last year in their garden...my kids loved picking the carrots and discovering which color they got and the different colors made them even more eager to eat them. They were quite yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful Katy! I'm going to have to check into it. :D We're planting a garden at my mother's house this spring and I want to try some new things.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments!