Monday, October 8, 2012

weekend thrifting

It's been awhile since I've found anything on the thrift shop circuit. Lately, a lot of the things that I want have been over-priced or dirty, which isn't always a bad thing, as there is character to be found in some marks left behind on cloth, but there hasn't been anything that has made me wander the shop and come back full circle because I just had to pick the piece up again. 

This weekend though, I did find a few bits.


This generous bit of tatted lace. It appeared to have been a collar at one point, cut away from whatever it was decorating and laying in a crumpled pile in the "craft" section. 


And a handful of buttons. Old, marvelous, buttons. Wooden and bakelite, worn metal and the big one in the center? It is heavy. Glass. This one I think needs to become something for me. It just really fascinates me and I don't know why just yet.  I don't think it is vintage, maybe? No special markings. I just picked it up and held it and then tucked it into my basket when it said 'take me home, please?'


The blocks for the Irish Quilting Magazine piece were finished last night, a couple of appliques to do on the traditional block and I hope to be finishing that up this week.  

This morning I've set the needle aside (fingertips are shouting 'thank you!') and I'm charting new designs. 
It looks to be a productive week!

2 comments:

  1. Cool.. Looks like a "uniform" or "school" button..? Notice how the design isn't symmetrical..? The laurels and "rivets" are a clue too. Definitely Vintage! And a Keeper!

    BTW, great Tatting! LOTS of work there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love it. There's a small chip in the glass up underneath the metal, but it's not noticeable really. It's just really neat. And the tatting? Yep, that's what I thought too. Now I just have to figure out what to do with it.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments!